The 3D LS Spectrometer: Dynamic and Static Light Scattering for powerful Particle Characterization even in turbid samples
The 3D LS Spectrometer is among the most sophisticated instruments for particle characterization based on static light scattering (SLS) and dynamic light scattering ( DLS).
It incorporates the revolutionary 3D cross correlation technology for eliminating the contributions of multiple scattering. Sample dilution is a thing of the past; you can now study your systems in their native state: Particle Sizing, Form- and Structure Factor, Molecular Weight, Rotational and Translational Diffusion Coefficient...
If you've ever performed laser light scattering experiments you know how tedious and time consuming sample preparation can be. Often the sample concentration and cell diameter have to be selected with extreme care to avoid multiple scattering. In many case this can be achieved only partially and it is well known that low-angle scattering is often hampered by multiple scattered light - sometimes unbeknown to the user! However, with the 3D LS Spectrometer, these are all problems of the past - You can stop worrying about multiple scattering.
Using the 3D cross-correlation technology our instrument filters singly scattered light from the scattering signal and dismisses the rest. See what the experts say on the 3D technique:
"Importantly, the 3D setup is much more robust concerning the stability of the experimental setup compared to dual color crosscorrelation [...]. This method provides and excellent alternative to the also commercially available fiber optic light scattering technique." (W. Schärtl, "Light Scattering from Polymer Solutions and Nanoparticle Dispersions", Springer 2007)
The 3D LS Spectrometer does everything you have come to expect from a high quality goniometer-based light scattering instrument for particle characterisation. The growing list of scientific publications based on results obtained by our customers with the 3D LS Spectrometer is proof of the high quality of the instrument.
Prominent features include:
- Dynamic and static light scattering at scattering angles from 8°-155°
- Particle characterisation from 0.15 nm to 5 microns*:
hydrodynamic radius RH, radius of gyration RG, size distribution, form and structure factor
- Determination of molecular weight
- Proprietary software interface for automated instrument operation and data analysis
- Automated particle sizing using Cumulant fit and CONTIN analysis
- Suppression of multiply scattered light using the 3D cross-correlation technology
(down to 5% transmission for sub-mm path length)
- Straightforward procedure for robust alignment with excellent long-term stability
- Precise temperature control
- Nonergodic sample characterization using sample rotation stage (optional)
- Depolarized light scattering for measurment or rotational and translational diffusion coefficients (optional)
- Confidential online support forum for all customers
*maximum range, sample dependent
3D cross-correlation measurements offer a wealth of information. To make these complex measurements as simple as possible LS Instruments has designed a robust user-interface that allows fully automated measurements and analysis of the results! Easy to use software packets such as the LSI Zimm Plot software make data treatment a matter of only a few clicks.
Download detailed specification file:
Learn more about possible applications:
Check the list of scientific publications which are based on results from the LS Spectrometer.
For customer support or to receive the latest copy of the 3D LS Spectrometer manual (v4.2 March 2014), please contact .